Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Fire Chief's Briefing for September 9 through September 14, 2013

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of September 9 through September 14, 2013.

We responded to 44 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

EMS/Rescue: 30

Hazardous Condition: 2

Service Call: 4

Good Intent: 3

False Call: 5

Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:

Monday, September 10 at approximately 6:07 pm:

E2 was dispatched on a report of power lines down in the front yard of a residence.  E2 arrived on scene and found that some power lines had been damaged from a recent storm and were contacting the house.  Crew members used a TIC to evaluate the danger of the downed line.  After further examination it was determined that the lines were still energized.  E2 requested the power company to respond to the scene to secure the line.  While awaiting the power company’s arrival, the power line ignited a small utility box on the outside of the structure.  E2 crew members used a dry chemical extinguisher to extinguish the fire.  Once all hazards were addressed and the power company arrived on scene E2 returned to service.

Tuesday, September 10 at approximately 7:06 pm:

E1, E3 and C3 were dispatched on report of a smell of gas inside of a hotel.  E1 arrived on scene and established command.  E1 used a gas monitor to investigate the two rooms where the odor was first noticed.  All readings were within normal limits in both rooms.  E3 arrived on scene and used their gas monitor to check the rest of the structure.  The cause of the odor was determined to be a plumbing issue which was addressed by staff members.  Once it was determined there were no hazards present command was terminated and all units returned to service.

Friday, September 13 at approximately 11:23 am:

E3 was dispatched on a medical call for a person with an altered mental status.  E3 arrived on scene and immediately began assessing the patient for any possible causes of the altered mental status.  E3 crew members determined that the patient had low blood sugar.  An IV was established and the patient was given medication to increase their blood sugar level.  EMS arrived on scene and was given a full report of the patient’s condition.  After administration of the medication the patient began to become more alert and oriented.  EMS determined that they would remain on scene to monitor the patient and make a transport decision.  Once patient care was transferred, E3 returned to service and quarters.

Friday, September 13 at approximately 5:19 pm:

E2 was dispatched on a report of motor vehicle crash with injuries.  E2 arrived on scene to find a two car, rear-end type collision.  E2 crew members began assessing two patients and checking the vehicles for hazards.  Spinal immobilization was applied to both patients.  EMS arrived on scene and E2 crew members assisted with further patient spinal immobilization and preparation for transport.  Both patients were moved to the ambulance and transported to a local hospital.  Once EMS left the scene and all hazards were addressed E2 returned to service and quarters.