Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Fire Chief's Briefing for December 31, 2012 Through January 5, 2013

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of December 31, 2012 through January 5, 2012.

We responded to 57 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 2

EMS/Rescue: 41

Hazardous Condition: 1

Service Call: 1

Good Intent: 4

False Call: 8

Monday, December 31 at approximately 3:29 pm:

E3 was dispatched on a report of injuries from a fall. Upon arrival crew members found one PT exhibiting symptoms of head trauma after falling from a skateboard. E3’s paramedic performed a rapid trauma assessment and found injuries to the PT’s head. Manual cervical spine immobilization was performed, and a cervical collar was applied. EMS arrived on scene and PT care was transferred before fully immobilizing the PT on a long spine board and loading them into the ambulance, where additional supportive care including IV and oxygen therapy was performed. The PT was transported emergency traffic to an area hospital.

Monday, December 31 at approximately 3:52 pm:

All BFR units were dispatched on a report of a Commercial Structure Fire. The first units on scene reported smoke showing from the roof and eaves of the structure. C3 established Incident Command and directed E1 to pull a pre-connected hoseline and make entry into the structure to locate and extinguish the fire. Interior conditions suggested that the fire was likely located in a wall and had possibly extended to the attic. Crew members opened the wall and were met by fire, but were able to quickly extinguish it. Additional units were sent to the attic and roof to ventilate the structure and check for extension. The fire was brought under control and the amount of damage was limited.
Investigation of the fire revealed that heat from a cooking surface was transferred through a stainless steel wall covering. The wall covering conducted the heat through screws attached to wall studs, which eventually heated the studs to the point of ignition. The fire was ruled accidental.

Wednesday, January 2 at approximately 2:26 pm:

E1 was dispatched on a report of difficulty breathing. Upon arrival crew members found the PT unresponsive, pulseless and apneic with a bystander performing CPR. Crew members moved the PT to the floor, reassessed the PT and inserted an airway adjunct before resuming CPR while preparing the defibrillator. No shock was advised, so CPR was continued until EMS arrived on scene and PT care was transferred. Despite a combined effort between EMS and Fire personnel, the PT’s status remained unchanged.

Friday, January 4 at approximately 12:36 pm:

E1 was dispatched on a report of injuries from a fall. Upon arrival, crew members found one PT with an obvious ankle fracture as a result of falling while roller skating. The skate was removed and the ankle was splinted in a position of comfort while ensuring that sufficient circulation was continued. EMS arrived on scene and PT care was transferred before the PT was loaded into the ambulance for transport to an area hospital.

Saturday, January 5 at approximately 1:41 pm:

E3 was dispatched on a report of a carbon monoxide alarm in a residence. The homeowner met E3’s crew outside the residence and advised that they had opened windows in the home after the detector activated. E3 utilized their gas monitor to check the home. The monitor showed higher than normal levels of CO, but not at a level considered hazardous. The natural gas to the residence was secured and the homeowner was advised to contact their gas provider for service. With no further hazards, E3 cleared the scene and returned to quarters.

Saturday, January 5 at approximately 7:21 pm:

E3 was dispatched on a report of one PT pulseless, apneic and unresponsive. Upon arrival crew members were advised by a bystander that the PT had experienced chest pain earlier in the day which was thought to be due to indigestion. The PT was moved to the floor and a rapid assessment was performed. The PT was found to be breathing, but not adequately. Advanced Life Support protocols were immediately initiated to airway management, defibrillation and CPR. IV therapy was attempted but not successful. A second round of defibrillation was performed before resuming CPR. EMS arrived on scene and utilized an EZ IO to obtain IV access. The PT was reassessed and found to have regained a pulse and spontaneous respirations. On scene personnel continued to provide supportive care and assisted ventilations as well as resuscitation drugs before loading the PT into the ambulance for emergency transport to an area hospital with one Firefighter on board to provide further care while enroute.

Saturday, January 5 at approximately 10:36 pm:

L1, C3 and C1 responded on a request for mutual aid from Nolensville Fire. Nolensville had responded to a report of a chimney fire but was unable to reach the chimney with their ground ladders. L1 arrived on scene and allowed them to verify that the fire was extinguished and no longer a hazard. With no further hazards, all BFR units were released from the scene and returned to quarters.