Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Fire Chief's Briefing for December 7 through December 12, 2012

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of December 7 through December 12, 2012.

We responded to 48 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 2

EMS/Rescue: 32

Hazardous Condition: 1

Good Intent: 6

False Call: 7

Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:

Friday, December 7 at approximately 1:51 pm:

All BFR units were dispatched to a reported residential structure fire.  C1 arrived on scene to find a home with nothing showing from the outside.  C1 established command and S1 arrived on scene to begin investigating.  The homeowner believed that they had put out a fire in the attic with an extinguisher.  After further investigation, command cancelled all units except for E1.  E1 arrived on scene and assisted in investigating and checking for further hazards.  It was found that a nail had been driven through some electrical wiring causing a short and resulting in a small fire.  Once it was determined that there were no hazards present, C1, S1 and E1 cleared the scene and returned to service.

Friday, December 7 at approximately 6:53 pm:

E4 was dispatched to a residential carbon monoxide alarm.  Upon arrival E4 made contact with the residents who were not sure why the carbon monoxide alarm was going off.  E4 asked the residents to evacuate the home so E4 could monitor the air quality in the home.  Upon entering the structure E4’s gas monitor immediately began indicating high levels of carbon monoxide.  E4 turned off gas supply to the house via the gas meter and began ventilating the structure.  E4 assessed the residents to check for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.  One resident indicated that they had felt dizzy earlier but felt better once they were outside.  The resident indicated that they did not want to be taken to the hospital.  E4 requested that the local gas company be dispatched to the scene to check gas supply.  After an hour of ventilating the house, E4 used the gas monitor to verify that the carbon monoxide levels were back to 0.  Control of the scene was handed over to the gas company and E4 cleared the scene. 

Saturday, December 8 at approximately 11:51 am:

E2 was dispatched on a report of a car fire.  Initial dispatch information indicated that heavy smoke was coming from the engine area of a vehicle.  L1 also responded to this call due to the incident being located in Station 1’s district.  The owner had safely exited the vehicle well before any fire was visible.  Upon arrival E2 found a vehicle with heavy flames and smoke coming from the engine compartment.   E2 established command.  The crew from E2 and one member of L1 crew used a foam attack line to extinguish the fire.  The other member of L1 crew assisted with traffic control.  R1, which was enroute back to quarters from another call, stopped at the scene to assist with clean up.  Once all hazards were mitigated, control of the scene was handed over to BPD.  E2, L1 and R1 returned to service and quarters. 

Sunday, December 9 at approximately 1:29 pm:
E3 and R1 were dispatched on a report of a motor vehicle accident with injuries.  Initial dispatch information indicated that car had rolled over on I-65.  E3 requested C3 and E2 to respond for more manpower in case the patient was trapped in the vehicle.  Upon arrival E3 found one vehicle on its roof with a person lying next to the vehicle.  E3 established command.  Once it was determined that all occupants were out of the vehicle, Command canceled C3 and E2.  E3 and R1 crews began providing patient care including full spinal immobilization.  E3 crew assisted EMS in loading the patient and providing further on scene care.  Once the patient was transported, Command released R1 from the scene.  E3 remained on scene to check for further hazards and assist BPD.  Once all hazards were addressed command was terminated and E3 returned to service and quarters. 

Tuesday, December 11 at approximately 9:12 pm:

E3 was dispatched for automatic aid with Franklin FD on a reported commercial structure fire.  Initial dispatch information indicated that smoke was in the building and an evacuation was in progress.  Upon arrival E3 established command and found a commercial structure with nothing showing from the outside.  E3 crew entered the structure to investigate and found no smoke.  Franklin FD R3, Tower 6 and Battalion 1 arrived on scene.  Command of the incident was transferred to Franklin FD Battalion 3.  Franklin FD R3 assisted BFD E3 on the inside investigation and Franklin FD Tower 6 gained access to the roof.  After further examination, it was found that a component of a HVAC unit on the roof had burned causing smoke to be pumped into the structure.  Power to the HVAC unit was shut off and no further hazards were found.  The occupants were advised to call the HVAC company as soon as possible.  E3 was then released by command and returned to service.