Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Chief's Briefing for October 12 through October 17, 2012

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of October 12 through October 17, 2012.

We responded to 48 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 2

EMS/Rescue: 31

Service Call: 5

Good Intent: 2

False Call: 8

Friday, October 12 at approximately 6:20 am: 

All BFR units dispatched to a possible structure fire.  Initial dispatch information indicated that lightning may have struck the home and the occupants were reporting smoke in the garage of the house along with alarm system activation.  E2 was the first unit to arrive on scene and found no fire present, only an odor of burned plastic and debris inside the garage from a dislodged irrigation control box.  There was also charring along one of the garage wall from an extension cord that was powering the irrigation control box.  E4 arrived on the scene and assisted in checking the home for further hazards.  E2 verified that power to the home was shut off.  All other responding units were cancelled.  After further investigation it was found that the initial lightning strike hit a tree in the back yard and passed through the tree to a control wire for the irrigation system and into the garage.  This charge destroyed the control box leaving a two foot wide hole in the drywall.  The owner of the home was advised of the situation and all units returned to service and quarters.  

Monday, October 15 at approximately 5:36 pm: 

E2 and R1 were dispatched on a personnel injury accident involving a car and a person on a bicycle.  Upon arrival E2 found a patient sitting on the sidewalk with a bystander holding c-spine.  E2 initiated patient care and found the patient was complaining of leg pain.  The patient was wearing a helmet that received heavy damage. Patient also could not remember how they got to the current position.  EMS arrived on scene and E2 and R1 personnel assisted in packing the patient on a spine board.  Once patient had been transported, E2 and R1 returned to service and quarters.  

Monday, October 15 at approximately 6:39 pm

E1 was dispatched to a reported car fire at a gas station.  Upon arrival E1 found a car less than 10 feet from a structure with heavy smoke pushing from the engine compartment.  E1 crew used a 150’ 1-3/4” foam line to extinguish the fire.  Once access was made to the engine compartment it was found that the engine had been fully involved in fire.  Nashville FD, who were also notified of the fire due to the location of the call, decided not to respond once they were informed the fire was extinguished.  Once all hazards were addressed, E1 returned to service and quarters. 

Tuesday, October 16 at approximately 10:01 am: 

L1 and C4 (Fire Marshal) were dispatched to a citizen complaint.  Initial dispatch information indicated that rocks from a nearby blasting site had broken through the roof of a citizen’s house and caused damage throughout the property.  Upon arrival L1 found that a rock the about size of a grapefruit had broken through the roof of the house and lodged in the dry wall ceiling of the room below.  A car in the neighboring driveway also received damage from flying rock.  L1 investigated other properties and found more blasting debris.  C4 made contact with the blaster at the construction site as well at the State Fire Marshal’s Office.  A representative from the State Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene and issued a stop work order after observing the damage and debris.  The blasting companies insurance was put in contact with the residents with damaged property.  Further blasting cannot resume at the site until corrective actions have been approved by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.  For more information see the article posted on the Brentwood Homepage:

Wednesday, October 17 at approximately 12:36 pm:

E2 dispatched on a report of an unresponsive patient.  E2 and Medic 16 arrived on scene to find a lethargic patient only responsive to verbal stimuli.  R1 also responded to the location and assisted in talking patient’s vitals and providing care in accordance with protocols.  E2 and R1 personnel assisted in loading patient into the ambulance and established IV access.  Medic 16 requested a firefighter to ride along to the hospital due to the patient’s instability and cardiac history.  One firefighter rode with Medic 16 non-emergency to the hospital.  Once Medic 16 cleared the scene, E2 and R1 returned to quarters.