Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fire Chief's Briefing for September 18 through September 23, 2012

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of September 18 through September 23, 2012.

We responded to 40 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 2

EMS/Rescue: 22

Hazardous Condition: 3

Service Call: 4

Good Intent: 4

False Call: 5

Tuesday, September 18 at approximately 4:40 pm: 

E4 was dispatched for Urban Search and Rescue for a missing child. While enroute to the scene E4 spotted a child matching the description of the missing youth. Crew members, along with a BPD Officer, made contact with them and determined that they were the missing person. E4 gave the child a ride back to their home to be reunited with their parents. With no other services needed, E4 cleared the scene and returned to quarters.

Wednesday, September 19 at approximately 6:35 pm: 

E2 was dispatched on a report of an unresponsive person. Upon arrival, crew members found the PT lying on the couch. The PT was quickly assessed and determined to be breathing and have a pulse, but hypoglycemic. E2 crew attempted to gain intravenous access but was unable to find a satisfactory vein. Glucagon was administered via intramuscular injection as EMS arrived on scene and PT care was transferred. EMS crew members were able to obtain IV access and administered a 50% dextrose solution. The PT regained consciousness but still exhibited altered mental status, so the decision was made to transport them to an area hospital for further treatment. 

Thursday, September 20 at approximately 5:09 pm: 

All BFR units were dispatched on a report of an outbuilding on fire in close proximity to the main home. E2 arrived on scene to find light smoke. The homeowner met crew members at the rig and advised them that the fire had been mostly extinguished via garden hose. All other units were staged with the exception of E4, who was requested to continue for manpower. E2 used the homeowner’s garden hose to cool down the remaining hot spots. During the course of investigating the fire, unusual burn patterns were found in the grass. A conversation with a neighbor led to the discovery that the neighbor had been burning weeds earlier, and that may have spread to cause the fire. 

Thursday, September 20 at approximately 7:19 pm 

E3 was dispatched on a report of a dislocated knee cap. Upon arrival, crew members found the PT lying on the ground. They stated that they had turned their body abruptly with the lower leg not moving in conjunction with the upper leg, resulting in a displaced patella. A rapid trauma assessment revealed no other injuries. EMS arrived on scene, PT care was transferred, and EMS performed pain management protocols. E3 assisted with vacuum splinting the leg in a position of comfort before loading the PT into the ambulance for transport to an area hospital.

Friday, September 21 at approximately 6:06 pm: 

All BFR units were dispatched on a reported structure fire with smoke coming from the kitchen of the residence. Upon arrival, E2 reported nothing visible from the outside of the home and met with the homeowner, who advised everyone was out of the home. Crew members determined that the contents of an unattended pot on the stove began to burn, causing the smoke. The stove was turned off and the pot was removed from the stove. E1 was requested to continue to the scene to assist with ventilating the structure, but all other units were cancelled. Once the smoke was removed from the home all units returned to quarters.

Friday, September 21 at approximately 6:31 pm: 

E3 was dispatched on a report of a smell of natural gas. Upon arrival, crew members found an unoccupied home with the gas meter running much faster than normal. A quick investigation determined that the gas line to a grill had been punctured. The gas was turned off at the meter and the gas company was requested to respond. The home owner arrived home and it was determined that a yard crew working at the home earlier in the day had ruptured the line. With the hazard mitigated, E3 cleared the scene and returned to quarters.