Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fire Chief's Briefing for August 30 through September 4, 2011

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of August 30 through September 4, 2011.

We responded to 50 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 3

EMS/Rescue: 25

Hazardous Condition: 3

Service Call: 9

Good Intent: 3

False Call: 7

Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:

Wednesday, August 31 at approximately 8:28 am

E2 was dispatched on a report of a deer stuck in a fence. Upon arrival crew members found the animal with a leg stuck between two bars of a fence. Permission from the homeowner was obtained to use bolt cutters to cut the fence, freeing the deer and allowing it to escape.

Wednesday, August 31 at approximately 1:31 pm

E3 was dispatched to a report of a child locked in a vehicle. Upon arrival crew members were informed that a bystander had attempted to utilize a slim jim to open the vehicle, but had not been able, and had damaged the door lock. E3 proceeded to the other side of the vehicle and used their lock out kit to open the door. The child was unharmed.

Thursday, September 1 at approximately 2:17 pm

E2 was dispatched on a report of a pregnant female complaining of a ‘racing heart’. Once on scene, E2’s crew found the PT lying on the floor, also complaining of feeling dizzy. E2 performed a PT assessment and basic interventions. E2’s paramedic began preparing the PT for advanced cardiac care. Upon arrival of EMS PT care was transferred, and E2’s paramedic assisted with performing further cardiac interventions. The PT was transported emergency traffic to an area hospital for further evaluation.

Thursday, September 1 at approximately 2:31 pm

E1 was dispatched to a reported grass fire along I-65. Upon arrival E1’s officer found that there was an approximately 60 foot by 12 foot area burning and that the fire had began to make its way into a tree line. E1 crew members deployed a 1 ¾ hose line and began to extinguish the fire. Approximately 15 minutes into the call Nashville Fire Department arrived on the scene and offered mutual aid. E1’s officer established Incident Command at this point. While Nashville contained the fire to the north, E1 concentrated on the south. The fire had begun to spread into a hedgerow and on towards Wilson Pike, so E1’s officer called for L1 to respond to that location to control the extension.

Tanker 1 was also requested to respond to the scene in order to re-supply E1. During this time L1 had extinguished the fire it was tasked with, Nashville had controlled the north end, and E1 had controlled the south end. Once the tanker arrived on scene, E1’s Engineer connected to it and began to rewet all affected areas. Once it was determined that the fire extinguished, Command cleared all units and returned to quarters.

Friday, September 2 at approximately 1:06 pm

E3 was dispatched on a report of a child locked inside a vehicle. E3 responded emergency traffic due to heat conditions. Upon arrival, E3's crew located the vehicle and the owner, who stated that the child was locked inside for approximately 5 minutes prior to calling 911. Utilizing a lock out kit, E3's crew was unable to unlock the vehicle. Crew members attempted for 3 min, but when quick access was not obtained, E3’s officer decided that it was in the best interest of the child's safety to break out a window. The driver’s window was chosen based on where the child was sitting to reduce the risk of potential injury to the child. After the window was broken out, the child was brought inside a business to start reducing its core body temperature. At this point EMS was called. E3's crew used cold rags and an ice pack to actively cool the PT. EMS then arrived on the scene and PT care was transferred. No transport was needed, and E3 cleared the scene.

Friday, September 2 at approximately 5:01 pm

E3 was dispatched via automatic aid agreement to a reported commercial structure fire in Franklin. Upon arrival, E3 was informed by Franklin that the fire had been extinguished by the building’s fire sprinkler system. E3 was placed available and returned to quarters.

Saturday, September 3 at approximately 3:36 am

E3 was dispatched to a report of a large tree blocking the roadway. Upon arrival, E3’s crew utilized their chain saw to cut the tree into manageable pieces and remove it from the roadway. With all hazards removed, E3 returned to quarters.

Saturday, September 3 at approximately 12:03 pm

E3 was dispatched to a report of an outside natural gas leak. Upon arrival E3 noted the smell and sound of a gas leak coming from a construction area. E3’s Engineer moved the apparatus to a safer area while other crew members utilized their gas monitor to survey the scene. The construction workers had accidentally run into the gas line while working. E3 secured the scene and requested the gas company to come mitigate the leak. Upon arrival of the gas company, the hazards were contained, E3 left the scene under their control and returned to quarters.

Sunday, September 4 at approximately 11:58 am

All Brentwood Fire and Rescue units as well as an automatic aid assignment from Franklin Fire were dispatched on a reported commercial structure fire. Brentwood E3 arrived on scene first, noted evacuation in progress, but did not see any smoke or fire. E3 established Incident Command and began to investigate the cause of the alarm. A light haze was noted inside the structure, but no fire was found. Brentwood E2 arrived on scene and was tasked with going to the roof of the structure to check for a possible HVAC fire. E2 crew members located an HVAC unit with obvious signs of arced electrical components, including scorch marks. Power to the unit had been disabled, so no further hazards were present. All other responding units were cancelled and the manager of the business was notified to contact an HVAC repair company. Further investigation revealed no other hazards, so the occupants were allowed back into the building. Command was terminated and E3 returned to quarters.