Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fire Chief's Briefing for June 13 through June 21, 2011

Fire Chief’s Briefing for June 13 through June 21, 2011

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of June 13 through June 21, 2011

We responded to 79 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:
Fire: 6
EMS/Rescue: 37
Hazardous Condition: 5
Service Call: 5
Good Intent: 7
False Call: 19

Here are some highlights from this period’s emergency activities: 
Monday, June 13 at approximately 3:06 pm

E2 was dispatched to a report of a person on a roof with a nail in their knee. E2 requested R1 to be dispatched for equipment and manpower, and E3 to be dispatched for manpower and an aerial device. Upon arrival E2 found several roofers on the roof of a 2 story house, one of whom was sitting down holding their knee, having been shot in the knee by a pneumatic nail gun. R1’s crew was sent up to the person to evaluate the injury. E2 deployed an extension ladder to gain access to the roof and the PT. E3 arrived and deployed their aerial to the roof to remove the PT, who had been loaded into a stokes basket. E3’s aerial was used to lower the victim to the ground. After removal the patient was immediately transported to the hospital by EMS.

Wednesday, June 15 at approximately 6:15 pm

E2 responded to a smell of smoke outdoors. As E2 approached the area, light smoke was observed. Upon arrival, E2 found a tree that had been struck by lightning behind a residence. One branch was burning and smoke was coming from a hole in the tree. E2 deployed 200 feet of forestry line and extinguished all fire.

Thursday, June 16 at approximately 4:02 pm

E4 was dispatched for a report of a Vehicle Fire.  While responding, the dispatchers advised that this was a garbage truck and that the brakes were on fire.  E4 arrived on scene to find that the fire had been extinguished by the driver, who had poured the contents of a water cooler onto the wheel area of the truck. The crew of the garbage truck did attempt to use their own fire extinguisher, but it failed to operate.  E4's crew used a pressurized water can to make sure the fire was out, as well as to continue to cool the brakes. The location of the fire was the driver side rear wheels.  No obvious damage was present.  The driver told E4's crew that the brakes on the truck had not been working well for some time, and that he could not stop the truck properly.  E4’s officer told the driver that he was not going to be able to drive the vehicle away due to the brakes not working, and was given two options; the first being to have a road side crew come and fix the brakes on site and the second option being to have it towed.  After several phone calls the decision was made by the owner of the garbage company to have it towed.  PD remained on scene until the truck was towed. E4 returned to quarters.

Friday, June 17 at approximately 4:47 pm

E2 was dispatched for 1 PT reported to have fallen and suffered a possible head injury. E2 arrived on scene and began PT care. PT condition worsened, and PT was transported emergency traffic by EMS with one FF-EMT on board to assist with continued PT care.

Saturday, June 18 at approximately 5:02 pm

C3, E1, L1, and E2 were dispatched to a commercial fire alarm. Upon arrival, C3 established command and E1 went to investigate the cause of the alarm. The building occupants showed E1’s crew where a spatula had been left on a hot stove eye and melted, setting off the smoke detectors. L1 assisted E1 in removing the smoke and the alarm was reset.

Saturday, June 18 at approximately 5:38 pm

All units were dispatched for a reported Residential Structure Fire. Upon arrival, E4 established Incident Command. Personnel were met by the homeowner and 2 BPD Officers who informed E-4 that the clothes dryer was smoking. E4’s crew made entry and found an electric dryer smoking in the laundry room off the garage, but no flames were visible. E4 cancelled all other responding units except E2. Personnel unplugged the dryer and moved it outside. The smoldering clothes were removed from the dryer and extinguished. E2 personnel removed any remaining smoke from the residence with an electric fan. The fire appeared to have been started by the heating elements in the back of the dryer which were covered in lint. E4 also checked for extension of the fire into other areas of the laundry room. The smoke detector had activated and notified the residents of the fire. Command was terminated and all companies cleared the scene and returned to quarters.

Saturday, June 18 at approximately 9:48 pm

E4 responded to a 1 vehicle MVA with rollover. E-4 arrived on the scene and established Incident Command. One vehicle was off the roadway and had rolled, but stopped in an upright position on the wheels. The vehicle had three people in it, two of whom were already out. E4 assisted EMS in removing the third PT who was not entrapped, but was injured. As E-4 personnel were securing the vehicle a small fire in the engine compartment was found and extinguished with a dry chemical extinguisher. R-1 arrived on the scene and assisted in securing the vehicle and then packaging the PTS for transport. All three passengers were transported to the hospital by EMS. One Fire Fighter/Paramedic rode in to the hospital in the ambulance to assist with continued PT care.