Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fire Chief's Briefing for May 30 through June 4, 2013

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of May 30 through June 4, 2013.
We responded to 44 emergency calls for service.
These calls can be broken down into the following categories:
EMS/Rescue: 31
Hazardous Condition: 2
Service Call: 5
Good Intent: 2
False Call: 4
Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:
Sunday, June 2 at approximately 6:07 pm:
E3 was dispatched on a report of a suspicious powder in homeowner's mailbox.  Upon arrival E3 was met by BPD who stated that the homeowner was in the process of placing mail in their mailbox and found a white powder coating it.  E3 used the PrimeAlert Biodetection System to sample the material for toxins; the material gave a reading of 212 on the monitor which is well below the 1500 reading indicative of a toxin.  The material appeared to be baby powder or corn starch. Both of these substances read in the same range that E3 received from the sample.  The material was determined to be non-hazardous.  BPD was notified and they in turn notified the homeowner.  E3 marked available and left the scene.
Sunday, June 2 at approximately 8:40 pm:
E2 was dispatched on a reported cardiac arrest. Upon arrival crew members found the PT lying on the floor pulseless and apneic. CPR was initiated and defibrillation was performed. Ventilations were given via bag-valve-mask. CPR was continued until the PT regained spontaneous circulation. Supportive care, including IV access and resuscitation drugs, was initiated. EMS arrived on scene and PT care was transferred. The PT required defibrillation again, and once again spontaneous circulation returned. Further resuscitation drugs were administered before the PT was loaded into the waiting ambulance for emergency transport to an area hospital with one firefighter on board to provide further care.
Monday, June 3 at approximately 10:10 am:
All BFR units were dispatched on a reported structure fire. While enroute, alarm informed responding units that the homeowner had called in and stated that there had been a small fire on the stove but that it was extinguished. All units were staged at their locations with the exception of E2 which continued to the scene. E2 arrived on scene and reported that the fire was out but there was smoke in the structure. E2 assisted the homeowner with ventilating the structure before clearing the scene and returning to quarters.
Tuesday, June 4 at approximately 7:10 pm:
All BFR units were dispatched to a possible structure fire.  E1 arrived first on scene and reported a single story residence with nothing showing.  E1 met the homeowner in the front yard and they stated that their oven had been smoking and the breaker was turned off.  E1 found a slight haze in the kitchen area and throughout the house.  All other responding units were cancelled.  E1 investigated the attic and remainder of the house with the TIC.  No hazards were found and the house was ventilated. 
After further investigation it was discovered that one of the HVAC units would not turn on.  It was determined that the cause of the haze and odor was more likely from the HVAC rather than the oven.  The power was shut off to both HVAC units and the homeowner was advised to have the system checked by a technician.