Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Fire Chief's Briefing for November 22 through November 27, 2011

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of November 22 through November 27, 2011.

We responded to 33 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 2

EMS/Rescue: 21

Hazardous Condition: 1

Service Call: 3

Good Intent: 4

False Call: 2

Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:

Tuesday, November 22 at approximately 9:37 pm:

All BFR units were dispatched to a report of a structure fire. During response E2 was alerted by dispatch that the caller stated a light switch was sparking inside the wall and smoke was filling the house. Upon arrival E2 entered the structure to investigate and found a dimmer switch that was hot and smelled of melting plastic. All other units were canceled. E2’s crew disassembled the partially melted switch and removed it from the wall. The homeowner was made aware of the situation and advised to contact an electrician to perform repairs. No other hazards were found.

Thursday, November 24 at approximately 8:58 am:

E3 was dispatched to a report of a commercial fire alarm. While en-route, alarm upgraded the call to a structure fire and dispatched all remaining BFR units after the occupant called to report a dryer fire in the laundry room. E3 arrived to find that the fire had self-extinguished. Crew members checked the dryer and vent pipes before setting up a positive pressure vent fan to remove smoke from the structure. All other responding units were cancelled except for the next due engine and C3. E4 crew members ventilated the main hallway and reset the alarm. This was the second fire in 4 months in this same dryer, and the occupant was advised to have both it and the fire extinguisher (which was used the last time the dryer caught fire) in the room serviced. All units were released from the scene and returned to quarters.

Friday, November 25 at approximately 3:49 pm:

All BFR units were dispatched to a possible structure fire. Upon arrival, the first in engine’s crew met with the homeowner who stated that they were concerned about the smoke smell throughout their home. He stated that they had a fire burning in the fireplace earlier in the evening, but that prior to leaving the home they extinguished it. Upon their return they had noticed a light haze in the house.
E1 investigated the entire structure for smoke and did not find any significant problems. Crewmembers then went through the house with the CO monitor to verify their findings. Once everything was clear E1 allowed the homeowner and their family to return to the house and cleared the scene. All units returned to quarters.

Saturday, November 26 at approximately 10:24 am:

E1 was dispatched on a reported commercial fire alarm. E1 arrived to find that the alarm had been activated by a small fire on a stove due to someone heating butter in an unattended skillet. The cook returned, carried the skillet to the sink, and extinguished the fire. The range hood fire extinguishing system did not activate. E1 reset the fire alarm. With no further hazards present, E1 returned to service.

Sunday, November 27 at approximately 5:47 am:

E2 was dispatched on a medical call for a report of difficulty breathing. Upon arrival, E2 found one PT unresponsive, pulseless, and not breathing. Bystanders reported that shortly before E2 arrived the PT lost consciousness. Crew members immediately began CPR, initiated O2 therapy, performed ventilation via bag valve mask, and connected a cardiac monitor to the PT. CPR and ventilations were continued, and upon arrival of EMS, PT care was transferred before loading the PT into the ambulance. Cardiac drugs were administered, and the PT was transported emergency traffic to an area hospital with one firefighter on board to assist with continued PT care while en-route.