Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fire Chief's Briefing for November 2 through November 15, 2011

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of November 3 through November 15, 2011.

We responded to 89 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 1

EMS/Rescue: 62

Hazardous Condition: 4

Service Call: 8

Good Intent: 9

False Call: 5

Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:

Friday, November 4 at approximately 6:58 pm:

E3 was dispatched on a medical call for an unresponsive PT. Upon arrival, E3 assessed the PT and began basic care to include oxygen therapy, cardiac monitoring, and monitoring of vital signs. The PT’s blood glucose level was found to be low. Finding a vein to administer intravenous glucose was difficult, so medical personnel administered glucagon via intramuscular injection. PT care was transferred to EMS for transport emergency traffic to an area hospital.

Sunday, November 6 at approximately 3:38 pm:

E2 was dispatched on a medical call for a report of injuries from a fall. Upon arrival, E2 found 1 PT lying supine exhibiting symptoms of a head injury including confusion and trauma. Bystanders stated that the PT had lost consciousness for approximately 2 minutes. E2 assessed the PT, provided supportive care, and packaged them for transport, including full spinal immobilization and a cervical collar. EMS arrived on scene and PT care was transferred for emergency transport to an area hospital.

Monday, November 7 at approximately 8:42 am:

E4 was dispatched on a residential fire alarm. Upon arrival, E4 was met by the homeowner who stated that they had burned breakfast and the resulting smoke had set off the detectors. With no hazards found, E4 used their electric fan to assist the homeowner with removing smoke from the residence. Once this was complete, E4 returned to its previous assignment.

Tuesday, November 8 at approximately 5:39 pm:

E3 was dispatched on a reported MVA involving four vehicles. R1 was called for to extricate one PT that was uninjured but unable to exit their vehicle due to it being trapped between the wall and another vehicle. R1 and E3 crew members cribbed the undercarriage and were able to have the driver exit via the rear hatch. All but one person involved refused treatment and transport. E3 applied 80 pounds of oil absorbent to vehicle fluids leaking onto the road. E3 also stood by while damaged vehicles were loaded onto wreckers. Two TDOT Emergency Highway responders took over vehicle control; E3 terminated command and left the scene.

Wednesday, November 9 at approximately 2:03 pm:

E3 and C3 were dispatched on an automatic aid call for Franklin Fire Department due to a report of a structure fire in Franklin. E3 arrived on scene with FFD Engine 6. E3 and FFD E6 began investigating the apartment that the fire was reported to be in. There was no fire or smoke, only an odor of burnt wiring. E3 located the electric panel and noted that the water heater breaker was tripped. FFD E6 removed the cover to the water heater thermostat and noted that the wiring had apparently arced and burnt out. E3 was released by FFD E6. C3 was cancelled en route. E3 marked available and left the scene.

Wednesday, November 9 at approximately 11:28 pm:

All BFR units responded to a report of a structure fire. E1, L1, and C3 were the first units on scene, and upon their arrival they discovered that the occupant of a hotel room had fallen asleep with a pizza in the oven. There was no fire in the room but smoke was coming from the oven. All other units were cancelled en-route while E1 and L1 crew members set up ventilation to remove smoke from the room and first floor of the hotel. All occupants were allowed back into the hotel a short time later. All companies cleared the scene and returned to quarters.

Friday, November 11 at approximately 12:57 pm:

E1 was dispatched on a report of a child and a dog locked in a vehicle. Upon arrival the parent stated that the dog had locked the doors with the child still in the vehicle. E1 utilized its lockout kit to open the vehicle without damage. Once all occupants were out of the vehicle E1 returned to service.

Saturday, November 12 at approximately 1:13 pm:

E2 was dispatched on a medical call for a report of injuries from a fall. Upon arrival, E2 found 1 PT with an obvious dislocation/fracture of the ankle. Supportive care and immobilization (both of the injured leg and spine) were provided until EMS arrived on scene for PT care and transport to an area hospital.

Saturday, November 12 at approximately 7:45 pm:

E1 was dispatched on a reported brush fire in the area of Scales Elementary. Upon arrival E1 found a large brush fire on a hilltop overlooking Holly Tree Gap RD. Once the proper address was obtained to access the fire E1 attempted to access the scene by driving up a driveway. However, it was quickly discovered that the only access to the fire would be by climbing the slope leading up to the hill top or ridge area. Engine 1 scaled the side of the ridge up to the top, and once there began containing the fire with hand tools. By this time all other BFR units had been called to respond to the scene to assist due to the size and location of the fire. Eventually off duty personnel were also requested to come in to provide further manpower. Containment of the fire took about three hours and involved all BFR units, off duty personnel, and the Williamson County Rescue Squad.

Sunday, November 13 at approximately 6:19 am:

All BFR units were dispatched on a reported Structure Fire. E4 was the first unit on scene. Upon arrival, crew members found a two story home with no smoke or fire showing and established command. The occupants of the home were in the front yard spraying landscaping with a garden hose. E4’s investigation showed that an outdoor light had been covered by mulch, which later ignited before spreading to a bush and causing smoke to enter the home. Crew members overhauled the area and also checked the structure and found no hazards. Command was terminated and all units returned to quarters.

Sunday, November 13 at approximately 2:58 pm:

E3 and C3 were dispatched for automatic aid for a reported structure fire in Franklin. E3 arrived to find multiple FFD units already on scene and the incident under control. E3 was tasked with covering FFD district 3, and cleared the scene. C3 was cancelled en-route.