Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Fire Chief's Briefing for July 25 through August 2, 2011

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of July 25 through August 2, 2011.

We responded to 72 emergency calls for service.

These can be broken down into the following categories:
EMS/Rescue: 41
Hazardous Condition: 2
Service Call: 4
Good Intent: 12
False Call: 11
Severe Weather: 2

Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s emergency activities:

Monday, July 25 at approximately 9:20 am
E2 and R1 were dispatched on a reported personal injury accident involving a motorcycle and an SUV.  Upon arrival, E2 established Command.  No extrication was needed and R1 was placed available.  E2 began PT assessment and spinal immobilization.  EMS arrived on scene and assumed PT care.  E2 assisted EMS with loading the PT for transport.  EMS transported the PT non-emergency to an area hospital.  E2 was placed available and command was terminated.

Monday, July 25 at approximately 3:53 pm
E2 and R1 were dispatched to a possible personal injury accident. Before making contact units were notified by dispatch that the true location of the incident may be in the City of Franklin. E2 and R1 dropped to non-emergency response but continued to confirm the location. Upon arriving in the area, the incident could be seen just outside the city limits and Franklin Fire was already on scene. E2 continued to the scene and canceled R1. Upon arrival, Franklin Incident Command asked if Brentwood E2 could assist with patient packaging and leak control from the vehicle. Crewmembers began assisting EMS with loading two of the four patients while another member of E2 began to control the fuel leak and shut off the power to the vehicle, which was heavily damaged. After loading the patients E2 was released by Command with Franklin Fire remaining on the scene until the vehicle was removed.

Monday, July 25 at approximately 9:34 pm
E4 and E2 responded to a reported gas leak in a home. Upon arrival, E4 established Incident Command and ensured that all occupants were out of the home. E4’s crew immediately secured the gas meter and spoke to the homeowner.  The homeowner stated that they heard a loud "bang" and then smelled gas in the garage.  E4 entered the home to find that a shelf with paint cans had fallen, which caused one of the spray paint cans to discharge.  Command cancelled all other companies, then opened the garage doors and ventilated the home before turning the gas meter back on and re-lighting the pilot light to the gas water heater.  The homeowner was advised to check the pilot lights on any HVAC units.  No other hazards were found, Command terminated, Engine 4 in service.

Saturday, July 30 at approximately 7:51 am
L1 and E2 were dispatched on a reported commercial fire alarm with fire suppression system activation. L1 arrived on scene first and established Command. During the course of investigation, active electrical arcing was found in the ceiling of a server room, which had caused the suppression system to activate. Power to the area was shut off and an electrician was called to make repairs. Command was transferred to E2, who utilized their TIC and air monitor to ensure that the surrounding rooms were clear as well. The building manager was also advised to have his suppression system re-charged as soon as possible.

Saturday, July 30 at approximately 7:57 am
E1, L1, C3 and E4 were dispatched on a reported lighting strike at a residence. Upon arrival, C3 established Command and reported nothing showing from the outside of the home. E1 made contact with the homeowner and began searching the residence for signs of fire. A light odor of smoke was present in the structure, and crewmembers found an area of sheetrock in an upstairs room that appeared to have been ‘blown out’ by the lightning strike. Crewmembers next went into the attic, and found signs of a lightning strike in the area of the chimney. L1 was utilized to gain access to the roof to further investigate the chimney, but no other signs or hazards were found. After a thorough check of the residence with the TIC, it was determined that there was no active fire present. The homeowner was advised to contact their insurance company and call back if any further hazards presented themselves.