Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Fire Chief's Briefing for August 9 through August 17, 2011

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of August 9 through August 17, 2011.

We responded to 72 emergency calls for service.

These can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 2

EMS/Rescue: 50

Hazardous Condition: 2

Service Call: 3

Good Intent: 11

False Call: 4

Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:

Tuesday, August 9 at approximately 5:18 pm

C3, E1, and E2 were dispatched to an inside investigation. Upon arrival, E1 established command and met with the responsible party. The responsible stated that a fire extinguisher had “exploded”. E1 made entry and found a dry chemical extinguisher that had discharged its contents in a mechanical room. No other hazards were present. The responsible did not know why the extinguisher discharged. All other units not on scene were cancelled en route. E1 assisted with cleaning up the dry chemical. The responsible contacted the property manager for additional cleaning assistance.

Wednesday, August 10 at approximately 5:46 am

E4 was dispatched to a report of an unresponsive person. Upon arrival, E4 found 1 PT unresponsive in bed. E4’s crew began CPR and prepared the PT for transport. EMS arrived on scene, PT care was transferred, and the PT was transported emergency traffic by EMS to an area hospital with one Firefighter/Paramedic on board to assist with PT care.

Friday, August 12 at approximately 6:53 am

E 4 responded to a report of a deer stuck in a fence. Upon arrival, E4 found a deer that had its back leg caught in a metal fence. The animal was injured and unable to free itself. The homeowner gave crew members permission to cut the fence if need be. Dispatch attempted to contact animal control and TWRA, but neither agency was available to respond to the scene. E4’s crew used bolt cutters and a halligan bar to free the animal, causing minor damage to the fence but no further harm to the animal, which fled the scene under its own power. No other damage was done, E4 returned to service.

Saturday, August 13 at approximately 1:33 pm

E2 was dispatched on a medical call for a report of CPR in progress. Upon arrival, E2 found 1 PT lying on the floor. The PT had regained spontaneous pulse and respiration due to successful CPR prior to E2’s arrival. Crew members provided supportive care to the PT and assisted EMS with preparing the PT for transport to an area hospital.

Sunday, August 14 at approximately 6:04 pm

E3 responded on a report of a grass fire. Upon arrival, crew members found a small grass fire which had been partially extinguished by a tow truck driver with a dry chemical extinguisher. E3 used the contents of one portable water can to extinguish the small fire that was rekindling and thoroughly wet the area around where the fire was. The fire was located on the side of the interstate in the grass in approximately a 10' x 2' area. Once the remaining fire was extinguished, E3 marked the fire under control and left the scene.

Tuesday, August 16 at approximately 4:42 pm

E2 was dispatched to a report of injuries from a fall. Upon arrival, E2 found one PT with obvious deformities to their left elbow. PT care was initiated before being transferred to EMS, who transported the PT non-emergency to an area hospital.

Tuesday, August 16 at approximately 10:19 pm

All units were dispatched to a reported structure fire. Upon arrival, C3 noted that nothing was showing and established command before meeting with the occupant of the home. The homeowner stated that they had heard a loud boom that shook the house and then smelled smoke. Investigation of the home revealed that a motor in the washing machine had seized up while washing a load of clothing, causing the noise and the smoke. With no hazards found, all units were placed available and returned to quarters.

Wednesday, August 17 at approximately 6:47 am

L1 was dispatched on a medical call for reported injuries from a fall. L1 was dispatched due to E1 being on another call. Upon arrival L1 found one PT with obvious shortening and rotation of the leg and deformity of the hip. PT was immobilized and prepared for transport. Upon EMS arrival, PT care was transferred and the PT was transported non-emergency to an area hospital.

Wednesday, August 17 at approximately 4:35 pm

E1 responded to a report of a grass fire. Car 1 (the Fire Chief) arrived on scene first and notified E1 that there was a 25 by 30 foot area on the side of the Interstate that was on fire. Upon arrival crew members deployed a 1 ¾” foam line and extinguished the fire. Once all hazards had been mitigated E1 cleared the scene and returned to service.