Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Fire Chief's Briefing for June 12 through June 17, 2014

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of June 12 through June 17, 2014.

We responded to 53 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 2

EMS/Rescue: 28

Hazardous Condition: 6

Service Call: 2

Good Intent: 4

False Call: 11

Thursday, June 12 at approximately 10:41 am:

E1 was dispatched on a medical call for a report of imminent child birth. BFR and EMS reached the scene together and met with the patient who stated that her water had broken shortly prior to emergency personnel arriving on scene. After a quick assessment, it was determined that the patient would be able to be taken to the hospital prior to delivery. EMS transported emergency traffic with one firefighter on board to provide additional care. The child was delivered approximately 15 minutes after the mother arrived at the hospital with no further complications.

Friday, June 13 at approximately 08:20 am:

E2 and R1 crew members inside Fire Station 2 heard the sounds of a vehicle crashing in front of the station. Dispatch was notified and both units responded to find an overturned vehicle in the grass in front of the station. The driver lost control of the vehicle and narrowly avoided striking the building. Both occupants of the vehicle were able to climb out under their own power. One person was transported non-emergency to an area hospital for further evaluation. With no further hazards, E2 and R1 returned to quarters.

Friday, June 13 at approximately 2:10 pm:

E4 was dispatched on a residential fire alarm. C1 was in the area and responded as well, arriving first on scene and reporting a haze of smoke in the home due to a small fire on the stove but no active fire. E4 arrived on scene and ventilated the structure while investigating the cause of the fire which was found to be caused by a mat being stored on the stove top. The homeowner used a dish drying mat to protect the ceramic flat top stove when not in use, but a child in the home playing in the kitchen inadvertently turned on a burner, igniting the mat. The fire did not extend beyond the diameter of the burner and self-extinguished when the burner was turned off.  The homeowner was advised to no longer store anything combustible on the stove top and to discourage children from playing in the kitchen. It was also suggested that the resident purchase a fire extinguisher and keep it in the kitchen as an additional safety measure. With no further hazards and the smoke cleared from the home, BFR units cleared the scene and returned to quarters.

Monday, June 16 at approximately 9:55 am:

E2 was dispatched to Nolensville to provide mutual aid at an incident involving a ruptured gas line. Upon arrival E2 was directed to provide protection for utility company workers working to repair the line. Once the line was repaired BFR personnel cleared homes in the area by testing their air content with a gas monitor. After clearing eight homes, E2 was released from the scene and returned to quarters.

Monday, June 16 at approximately 10:23 pm:

E3 was dispatched on a Commercial Fire Alarm. Upon arrival crew members checked the alarm panel which indicated active smoke detectors in the elevator shaft. The elevator shaft was opened and found to be clear, but a light haze and burning smell were found in the elevator room. Personnel immediately shut down the hydraulic pump that operated the elevator. This action stopped smoke production. The elevator car was checked and found to be empty and a second investigation of the elevator shaft also showed it to be clear. With no further hazards found, E3 advised the responsible party to notify the elevator maintenance company and cleared the scene.