Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Fire Chief's Briefing for April 1 through April 6, 2014

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of April 1 through April 6, 2014.

We responded to 56 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 4

EMS/Rescue: 33

Service Call: 2

Good Intent: 8

False Call: 9

Wednesday, April 2 at approximately 1:55 am:

E2 was dispatched on a medical call for a report of a patient with difficulty breathing.  Crew members arrived on scene to find one patient in respiratory distress.  E2’s paramedic immediately administered a breathing treatment to improve the patient’s respirations.  Vitals were obtained by crew members and the patient was placed on the cardiac monitor.  EMS arrived on scene as BFR crew members were obtaining a 12 lead EKG.  The patient was moved to the ambulance where E2’s paramedic assisted with administering further medication on scene.  The patient was transported to a local hospital and E2 returned to service. 

Wednesday, April 2 at approximately 11:40 pm:

All BFR units were dispatched on a report of a residential structure fire.  While enroute dispatch indicated that all occupants were out of the house.  E4 arrived on scene to find a single story structure with no smoke or flames visible.  Command was established and E4’s officer made contact with the homeowner.  The homeowner indicated lightning struck the house and ignited some ceiling and wall coverings.  BFR personnel entered the structure to find light smoke throughout the first floor.  Further investigation revealed smoldering insulation in the basement of the structure.  C3 and C1 arrived on scene and all other responding units were asked to stage at their current location.  The smoldering was extinguished with a water can and all the covering was moved outside.  The residence was ventilated using a positive pressure fan and the ceiling and wall were checked for fire extension using a TIC.  It was determined that lightning entered the house through copper piping then to HVAC duct work before igniting the material fastened to the ceiling.  Command advised the homeowner of the situation and proper follow up procedures.  No smoke detector was present in this location, so E4’s crew installed one prior to leaving the scene. Once all hazards were addressed command was terminated and all BFR units returned to service. 

Friday, April 4 at approximately 7:48 am:

E2 was dispatched on a mutual aid request for a structure fire in Arrington Volunteer Fire Department’s district.  E2 arrived on the scene and staged at the request of the incident commander.  E2 was quickly assigned the task of drafting from a portable water tank to supply firefighting operations on scene.  BFR continued drafting operations throughout the duration of the incident.  Once the fire had been extinguished command released BFR personnel from the scene and E2 returned to service. 

E2’s engineer drafts from a portable water tank while 2 tanker trucks dump water 

Friday, April 4 at approximately 6:04 pm

C3, E1 and E2 were dispatched on an inside investigation for a report of an electrical odor on the second floor of a hotel.  E1 and C3 arrived on scene to find a 3 story hotel with no smoke or fire visible.  C3 established incident command and E1 investigated.  C9 arrived on the scene to provide additional manpower.  The investigation team found a towel smoldering in a trash bag on the second floor of the structure.  This was determined to be the cause of the smell and Command cancelled E2.  The bag was carried outside and the contents were extinguished.  Once all hazards were addressed Command was terminated and all BFR units returned to service.

Saturday, April 5 at approximately 12:16 pm:

E2 was dispatched on a medical call for a report of a patient that had fallen.  E2 arrived on scene and made contact with an occupant who advised the patient had fallen off a ladder from a height of approximately eight feet.  Crew members quickly made patient contact and immobilized the patient’s spine.  A rapid trauma assessment was performed to check the patient for any life threatening injuries.  EMS arrived on scene and the patient was secured to a long spine board and moved to the ambulance.  BFR personnel assisted with further on scene care until EMS transported the patient to a local hospital.  Once transport had been initiated E2 returned to service.