Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Fire Chief's Briefing for October 21 through October 26, 2013

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of October 21 through October 26, 2013.

We responded to 54 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 2

EMS/Rescue: 32

Hazardous Condition: 2

Service Call: 2

Good Intent: 4

False Call: 12

Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:

Tuesday, October 22 at approximately 10:40 am:

E1 was dispatched on a report of a medical call for a patient having a possible allergic reaction.  E1 arrived on scene and made patient contact.  After assessment by E1 personnel it was determined that the patient was showing symptoms of a severe allergic reaction.  EMS arrived on scene and BFR personnel assisted with moving the patient to the ambulance.  Once the patient was in the ambulance crew members further assisted EMS with IV access and medication administration for the patient’s worsening symptoms.  EMS transported the patient to a local hospital and E1 returned to service.

Tuesday, October 22 at approximately 11:32 am:
All units were dispatched on a report of a structure fire.  Initial dispatch information indicated that the homeowner had smoke throughout their house but were unsure of the source.  E2 arrived on scene to find a two story residential structure with smoke showing from the roof area.  Command was established by E2’s officer.  E3 arrived immediately after E2 and performed a walk around size-up of the structure.  No fire was visible from the outside.  A 1 ¾” attack line was pulled to the back door of the residence if needed for fire attack.  The homeowners advised that they notice the smoke after they turned their heating unit on for the first time this year.  E3 personnel entered the structure and investigated the cause of the smoke.  E4, E1 and E11 arrived on scene and assisted with the investigation as well as deploying ladders to the roof.  C3 arrived on scene and assumed command.  After further investigation it was found that a heating unit in the attic had malfunctioned and began to smoke.  Power to the unit was cut off and all household items around the unit were removed.  The homeowners were informed of the situation an advised not to return power to the unit until it was repaired.  Once all hazards were addressed command was terminated and all BFR units returned to service. 

Wednesday, October 23 at approximately 6:22 am:

E1, E2 and C3 were dispatched on an inside investigation for a report of a heating unit that had been on fire.  E1 and C3 arrived on scene to find a 3 story hotel with no smoke or fire visible from the outside.  C3 established command while E1 entered the structure to investigate.   The fire alarm was active and an evacuation was in progress.  Crew members arrived on the second floor to find moderate smoke visible in the room of origin.  Hotel staff members used a fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire prior to BFR arrival.  BFR personnel used the thermal imaging camera to verify that the fire in the heating unit had been completely extinguished.  Command requested L1 to respond to the scene to assist with ventilation.  E2 and L1 arrived on scene and used electric fans to remove the smoke from the structure.  Power to the heating unit was cut off and maintenance personnel were notified of the situation.  Once all hazards had been addressed, hotel residents were allowed to return to their rooms.  Command was terminated and all BFR units returned to service.

Wednesday, October 23 at approximately 2:59 pm:
L1 and C3 were dispatched on a report of a car fire.  BFR units arrived on scene to find a vehicle with no flames visible.  The vehicles owner indicated that a fire had started inside the vehicle but bystanders had used portable fire extinguishers to put out the fire before BFR units arrived.  The inside of the vehicle was checked to ensure complete extinguishment and to find possible causes.  The fire was contained to the interior of the car and no further hazards were found.  All BFR units returned to service and quarters