Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Fire Chief's Briefing for August 13 through August 18, 2012

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of August 13 through August 18, 2012.


We responded to 55 emergency calls for service.


These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 2

EMS/Rescue: 33

Hazardous Condition: 1

Service Call: 12

Good Intent: 3

False Call: 4


Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:


Wednesday, August 15 at approximately 1:50 am:

E2 was dispatched on a report of a possible heart attack. While enroute E2 was informed that BPD had arrived on scene and found the door locked. The only other occupant of the home was inside performing CPR and was unable to open the door. BPD forced open the door prior to E2’s arrival, clearing the way for crew members to quickly enter the residence.

E2 arrived on scene to find a BPD officer performing CPR on one pulseless and apneic PT. Crew members relieved the officer and continued CPR. After a rapid assessment of the PT, E2’s paramedic began preparing for advanced life support interventions. EMS and an EMS supervisor arrived on scene and joined the efforts to resuscitate the PT. ALS interventions including oxygen therapy via bag valve mask respirations, CPR, advanced airway management devices, IV fluids and resuscitation drugs were administered to the PT.

Despite the combined efforts of all units on scene, the PT was not able to be revived and efforts were ceased. The appropriate authorities were contacted and PT care was transferred. All units cleared the scene and returned to quarters.


Wednesday, August 15 at approximately 4:12 pm:

E3 and R1 were dispatched on a report of a single vehicle roll over crash. Reportedly a semi-truck made contact with a low hanging cable which caused other lines to fall and a power outage to one business before severing a section of a wooden utility pole that impacted the passenger side of a passenger vehicle, causing it to roll over and come to rest upside down. The patient was out of the vehicle prior to E3’s arrival and was being treated by a bystander who happened to be a paramedic instructor. E3 established incident command before cancelling R1 as no extrication was required. EMS arrived on scene, PT care was transferred, and the PT was transported non-emergency to an area hospital. E3 remained on scene to assist BPD with traffic control until the roadway could be cleared. Once all hazards were mitigated, E3 returned to quarters.



Thursday, August 16 at approximately 11:16 am:

C1, C3, E1 and R1 were dispatched to a rollover accident with entrapment. Crews arrived on scene to find one vehicle on its roof with two PTs entrapped but non-critical. R1 was notified to prepare for extrication upon their arrival. After stabilizing the vehicle the hydraulic spreaders and cutters were utilized to remove the driver’s door. A short time later both PTs were removed from the vehicle and placed into the care of waiting EMS units. The two PTs were transported non-emergency to area hospitals for further evaluation. C1 and R1 cleared the scene while E1 and C3 remained to assist with traffic control until all remaining hazards had been mitigated.



Friday, August 17 at approximately 11:15 am:

E2 was dispatched on a report of a person trapped on a roof. Upon arrival, crew members found one person on the roof of their home. They had climbed a ladder to gain access to the roof but were afraid to try and climb back down. E2’s firefighter ascended the ladder and, once on the roof, was able to talk the individual through climbing back down. Before clearing the scene, the homeowner asked E2’s crew to inspect a different portion of their home that they were afraid may have been damaged in an unrelated matter. After using a ladder to climb up and inspect the area, crew members deemed that there was no damage. With no other hazards to be found, E2 cleared the scene and returned to quarters.


Saturday, August 18 at approximately 1:38 pm:

E2 was dispatched on a report of persons trapped in an elevator. Upon arrival, crew members found an elevator containing two people. The doors would not open. The power to the elevator was disconnected and then reconnected in an effort to restart the elevator. When this failed, R1 was requested to respond to the scene. Crew members used the Rabbit Tool (a portable, hand powered hydraulic spreading unit) to spread open the doors and allow the occupants to exit the elevator. Once all occupants were out of the vehicle, E2 and R1 returned to quarters.


Saturday, August 18 at approximately 5:13 pm:

E2 contacted dispatch and advised that they had a walk-in medical call at Station 2. Crew members were presented with one PT with an altered level of consciousness. The PT became unresponsive to any stimuli and began to exhibit decreased respiratory effort. A rapid assessment was performed, and the other occupant of the vehicle stated that the PT began to suffer from difficulty breathing and lethargy before passing out while the driver was parking the vehicle at the fire station. Baseline vitals were obtained, to include blood pressure, cardiac monitoring, pulse rate and oxygen levels.


Crew members began performing interventions to assist the PT’s breathing, including high flow oxygen and nebulized breathing treatments. IV therapy was established, and the PT was packaged for transport pending arrival of EMS. Once EMS arrived on scene, the PT was loaded into the back of the ambulance. At this time the PT became pulseless and apneic. The PT was intubated and CPR was initiated. Additionally, bag valve mask respirations were performed while resuscitation medications were administered. EMS transported the PT emergency traffic to an area hospital with one firefighter on board to provide continued care. While enroute to the hospital, the PT regained their pulse. While being transferred from the ambulance to the emergency room, the PT regained spontaneous respirations.