Thank you for visiting our Blog.

This page is not intended to be a public forum, and any comments posted to this page will be deleted. Please send your comments and questions to us at Please refer to for the privacy policy and disclaimers that apply to this Blog.

See our newest videos on YouTube

To check out our latest YouTube videos, please click one of the images below. Our YouTube Channel, which has more videos, can be found in the links section of this page.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fire Chief's Briefing for September 26 Through October 18, 2011

Here is a summary of Brentwood Fire and Rescue’s emergency responses for the period of September 26 through October 18, 2011.

We responded to 155 emergency calls for service.

These calls can be broken down into the following categories:

Fire: 1

Rupture/Explosion: 1

EMS/Rescue: 100

Hazardous Condition: 6

Service Call: 5

Good Intent: 10

False Call: 32

Here is an overview of significant events from this period’s activities:

Monday, October 3 at approximately 8:35 am:

E4 was dispatched on a report of one PT with injuries from a fall. Upon arrival they found the PT lying supine on the floor of a home under construction, holding their arm. The PT was laying brick on the exterior of the house when he fell from a height equivalent to the 2nd floor window.  Witnesses said the PT landed on their left side.  Initially the PT was ambulatory and walked inside prior to E4 arriving on scene.  E4 crew members held manual c-spine and exposed the PT’s torso.  A physical exam revealed obvious deformities and numerous abrasions.  The PT was placed in a position of comfort, c-collar was applied and the PT was fully immobilized on a long spine board.  EMS Arrived on scene and PT care was transferred.  E4 assisted EMS with loading the PT into ambulance for transport to an area hospital.

Tuesday, October 4 at approximately 11:05 am:

E2 responded to a reported carbon monoxide alarm. Upon their arrival, the crew was met by the occupant who stated that their CO detector went off and was reading 63. A carpet cleaning crew had just cleaned the carpets in the home 30 minutes prior. E2 made entry through the front door with their gas detector, which immediately went into alarm and registered 280ppm. Crew members evacuated the home and called for R1 and the gas company while shutting off the gas. Once R1 arrived on scene, crew members utilized 2in/2out and E2 crew entered the structure with full PPE and SCBA. They shut off electricity at the panel and acquired readings of 250 - 280 ppm downstairs and 370 ppm upstairs (symptoms normally appear above 70 ppm and levels above 150-200 ppm are considered potentially lethal). Windows and doors were opened for ventilation while waiting for the gas company to arrive.

A rep from the gas company arrived on scene and attempted to determine the source of the gas. With the furnace running, he was unable to find a leak. He believes the carpet cleaning machine was placed near the air return and pumped CO into the structure. After they left the furnace kicked on and spread it throughout the house.

Once CO levels reached 5ppm E2 and R1 cleared the scene.

Tuesday, October 4 at approximately 10:00 pm:

E3, Haz Mat 1 (HM1, BFR’s Hazardous Materials Response Trailer), C1, C3, C5, and Squad 2 (S2) were dispatched at the request of BPD to stand by during entry to a possible meth lab.  HM1 set up a decontamination pool and an emergency decontamination station at E3's ladder.  S2 suited up with PD’s meth techs and made entry to monitor the air inside the structure.  E3 FF and Engineer dressed out in non-encapsulating Level B suits and functioned as HM RIT (Rapid Intervention Team, in case the entry team needed rescue) during the entry.  Once the entry was completed and the air monitor was within normal limits, all companies dressed down to class C uniforms.  Once the air was determined to be clear, BPD released all fire companies from the scene.

Tuesday, October 11 at approximately 1:05 pm:

E3 was dispatched on a report of a cat that was trapped in an HVAC unit. Upon E3's arrival, animal control was already on the scene. E3 observed a kitten’s head sticking out of one of the vent holes of the base of the unit. Animal control had put dawn dish soap on the kitten’s head prior to our arrival. E3 assisted by putting pressure on the kittens head while holding its ears back. Animal control was able to pull the kitten back while E3's crew was pushing on its head. This method worked without any harm to the animal. E3 cleared the scene.

Wednesday, October 12 at approximately 12:30 pm:

E4 was dispatched on a report of an unresponsive PT. Upon arrival E4 found 1 PT with bystander CPR in progress. E4’s paramedic took control of the scene and began Advanced Life Support treatment to include intubation, BVM use, and cardiac monitoring. Upon arrival of EMS an Intra-Osceous line was established and resuscitation drugs were administered. The PT was moved to a long spine board and immobilized before being loaded into the ambulance for emergency transport to an area hospital with one firefighter on board to assist with further care while enroute.